In July 2023, subscribers met the Strawberries.
In Birdmoss, Strawberries are sometimes called Strayberries because they appear to be scattered across the landscape. One day a meadow is grassy, green and gold; the next, it’s dotted with berries. This sudden season is both decadent and hectic, as everyone races to eat or preserve the Strawberries before they turn. Their arrival is often accompanied by a cool breeze which is a welcome balance to the summer heat.
An old story reminds us that it is the exposed, vulnerable side of the Strawberries that grows bright and lush in the sunshine. Shaded, protected portions of the berries remain pale and hard, unrealized.
The Strawberries Box includes an abundance of beautiful objects; hints and additions to expand the story; a mysterious document; and a lore card.
- Mysterious Document
- An instructional document is augmented with marginalia which will help you interpret clues. It is available only in the Strawberries Box.
- Lore Card
- The Strawberries are introduced in a full-color collectible 4x6 inch lore card. The artwork for this month's lore card was created by Joanna Rzepecka, a Warsaw, Poland-based illustrator. She says, "My work is inspired by biodiversity, mainly animals. Through my work, I'm trying to capture moments where nature is untouched by humans. Peaceful scenery, colors, and rough textures are some things that I enjoy the most."
- Flower Frog
- You pass a few minutes by gathering some daisies, clover, and dandelions, but the soft-stemmed wildflowers and weeds list in their container. Place this flower arranger atop a glass or jar. It will support the plants so their beauty can be appreciated.
- Infused Vinegar
- The Foxes have developed myriad ways to preserve plants and fruits for year-round use. This strawberry basil infused balsamic vinegar, with sweet and tart notes, is used to bring contrast and balance to both salads and desserts. The Foxes also prescribe it medicinally and enjoy sipping it as a digestif.
- Embroidered Strawberries
- You receive a set of two embroidered strawberry patches. They have been quickened with sugar to encourage light-heartedness. The two designs mirror each other to evoke symmetry and balance. Use them in visible mending or to emblazon an apron, jacket, or shoes.
- A Dreamer's Poetry Set
- You find a small tin filled with words which recall your experiences in Birdmoss. You enter a reverie and are inspired to arrange the magnets, then arrange them again. Let your intuition guide you as you improvise. Playing with words will help you distill meaning in many situations.
- Uplifting Gemstone
- You encounter a Field Mouse who offers you a tiny basket, You unwrap the contents, expecting to find, perhaps, a small strawberry. Instead, you discover a piece of polished garnet. The Mouse received it in a trade but thinks you will get better use from it; she is singularly focused on filling her food stockpiles. The garnet reminds you of a dark, decadent berry. It supports positive thinking, balance, and harmony.
One-time box purchases include shipping costs. They usually ship within 3 business days of purchase.
"If you have any issues with your purchase, please reach out to me at firstname.lastname@example.org, and I'll personally do everything I can to make it right."
- Shannon, Birdmoss Curator and Liaison