In May 2022, subscribers encountered the Mushrooms.
Among the most intriguing observed phenomena in Birdmoss is the prevalence of microclimates. The long sunny beach of the Far Shore is punctuated by a rainy lagoon. When one steps into a bright, hot glade within the shady Forest, the sky above appears to be lit by a different sun. Exploring the blooming Meadows, one may stumble across an area of frosted ground.
No one is certain whether these spots, with their distinct flora and temperatures, are portals, projections, or simply localized weather. Some of these microclimates measure a few miles across; others, only a few feet. Perplexingly, they may appear and disappear, seemingly at random.
These outlier areas have one commonality: they are all ringed by Mushrooms. The Mushrooms boil up after a rainstorm or lightning strike; and they expire in a puff of spores, or when the Moon’s phase changes. Their mycelia form complex networks which seem to be capable of compartmentalizing even the air’s humidity.
Stepping into their rings feels like alighting upon a threshold.
The Mushrooms Box includes an abundance of beautiful objects; a surprise that hints at the next box; a mysterious document; and a lore card.
- Mysterious Document
- An instructional document is augmented with marginalia which will help you interpret clues. It is available only in the Mushrooms Box.
- Lore Card
- The Mushrooms are introduced in a full-color collectible 4x6 inch lore card.
- Visual Guide to Mushrooms
- The Foxes keep heavy tomes of cyanotypes and spore prints cataloging their botanical knowledge; but in the field, they often rely on illustrated textiles which can be knotted into sacks or worn as bandanas. They have sent this example for you to consult as you explore. However, it depicts only a few of the hundreds of Mushroom varieties in Birdmoss.
- Magnifying Loupe
- The Crows present you with a tool to help you examine the Mushrooms growing on the Forest's floor. It can aid you as you examine tiny gifts of nature. You can also wear it as a charm to bolster your insight. Incant "show me more" as you drape it around your neck to tell the loupe that you are receptive to receiving additional details about the questions in your life.
- Oyster Mushroom Growing Kit
- Mushrooms grow throughout Birdmoss, but they find the Forest particularly hospitable. Drifts of spores form communities and develop relationships with the trees. They translate and relay messages: their underground networks allow the oaks to communicate with the birches; and the firs with the junipers. In order to begin to understand their impulses and currents, you'll need to investigate a mycelium colony. This kit allows you to cultivate real Oyster Mushrooms and examine their stages.
- Salt of Boletus Edulis
- This small round tin contains a portion of sea salt blended with powdered porcini. The combination of salt and Mushrooms is a powerful activator. Use it to quicken tools or to cast a ritual ring. Press your forefinger into it, then leave the faintest fingerprint on a tree's trunk to increase your connection with the tree. It is especially suited to liminal work involving thresholds and translations. Used as a finishing salt, it imparts an earthy, savory flavor.
- Stones of Return
- These carnelian stones have been paired and quickened with rosemary to support you in returning to a specific spot. Place one stone at your selected waypoint. Carry the other with you as a guarantee of your return. The stones cannot speed your pathfinding, but each will guide you to the other.
- A Wax-Sealed Envelope
- The words and illustrations inside hint at the coming Twilight.
Bowl in photos is not included.
One-time box purchases include shipping costs. They usually ship within 3 business days of purchase.
"If you have any issues with your purchase, please reach out to me at firstname.lastname@example.org, and I'll personally do everything I can to make it right."
- Shannon, Birdmoss Curator and Liaison
I loved this box! There is so much to do and think about. I am so happy I found this little birdmoss family.