In September 2022, subscribers encountered the Moonwell.
The Moonwell is hidden away in a dense, remote part of the Forest. It is nearly impossible to locate without a guiding well-glyph which has been quickened in its waters.
During daylight hours, the Moonwell is cool and green, but unremarkable. Its secrets are revealed in the dark of night. Touch the water’s surface or toss in a pebble; every ripple erupts in electric-blue light.
Hopeful pilgrims visit the Moonwell to transform wishes into promises, tossing in pebbles until the lapping water is ablaze with hope. The peacock-blue light illuminates the surrounding ferns, who sigh and dip in witness to these promises.
The Moonwell Box includes an abundance of beautiful objects; a map and encoded message that hint at the next box; a mysterious document; a sheet of instructions; and a lore card.
- Mysterious Document
- An instructional document is augmented with marginalia which will help you interpret clues. It is available only in the Moonwell Box.
- Lore Card
- The Moonwell is introduced in a full-color collectible 4x6 inch lore card. The artwork for this month's lore card was created by Joanna Rzepecka, a Warsaw, Poland-based illustrator. She says, "My work is inspired by biodiversity, mainly animals. Through my work, I'm trying to capture moments where nature is untouched by humans. Peaceful scenery, colors, and rough textures are some things that I enjoy the most."
- Water from the Moonwell - Bioluminescent Phytoplankton
- The Moonwell is still and dark as you approach it, but then you catch sight of a pale blue spark which quickly fades. You tentatively dip your hand into the water and watch as the ripples pulse with light and then disperse. You collect a small sample of the water to learn more. When you swirl the bottle, it glows.
- Surprising Pebble - Iridescent Ammonite Fossil
- You gather a handful of pebbles and toss them into the Moonwell, one by one. The water ripples with light after each disturbance. One pebble feels different in your hand. You examine it and realize that it is a silvery fossil. Your ammonite carries its own magic in its spiral. Your has been waiting over 100 million years for your arrival. In Birdmoss, ammonites are believed to trap and contain bad luck.
- Glittering Remnants - Teal Beverage Glitter
- The stones surrounding the Moonwell sparkle with crystalline accumulations. This glitter is what remains when splashes from the Moonwell evaporate. It can infuse any beverage with starlight. Add a tiny amount (start with only 1/16 teaspoon or a pinch or two) to wine, tea, or water and marvel at the swirling sparkle. Try transforming a wish into a promise by speaking it while stirring your libation in a clockwise direction.
- Patinated Ring - Adjustable Embossed Copper Ring
- You spot a stone with faint scratches on its surface. You lift it and brush aside the skeletons of leaves to discover a small nook. Inside is an ancient ring. Its copper is covered in a teal-blue patina. It was hidden here long ago in anticipation of your arrival. You try it on and it adjusts to your hand. Turn it twice on your finger when seeking direction.
- Cleansing Bundle - Elderberries, White Pine Bark, and Rosemary
- The Foxes have left an additional gift inside the hollow. They practice an herbal alchemy and prepare bundles that allow Dreamers to travel the Old Roads. This fragrant muslin bundle includes wildcrafted elderberries, white pine bark, and rosemary. This bundle was quickened during the New Moon to ease and cleanse your mind; to demarcate the Old Roads; and to protect and invigorate your dreams. Place it under your pillow or add it to a bath or simmer pot to enjoy its evergreen scent.
Glass pictured in photos is not included.
One-time box purchases include shipping costs. They usually ship within 3 business days of purchase.
"If you have any issues with your purchase, please reach out to me at email@example.com, and I'll personally do everything I can to make it right."
- Shannon, Birdmoss Curator and Liaison
The Moonwell Box has been my favorite so far. Shannon's curation and storytelling is truly gifted; she does such a wonderful job assembling the elements and giving them meaning. The bioluminescent phytoplankton is SUCH a cool inclusion; I am enjoying its magical light.
The Moonwell box is one of my favorites. To see the ocean “glow” has always been on my bucket list. Now, I have a little bit of that magic to hold in my hand and dream.
Every Birdmoss box is special. It's a monthly ritual opening this box and being transported to the beautiful, whimsical world of Birdmoss. Every item tells its part of the story and leads to the next part of the story, plus each piece is beautiful and displayable in it's own right. Shannon is a weaver of story, feeling and magic. The Moonwell box was such an immersive experience in a world I've come to love and feel safe in.
This is the start of my journey and was pleasantly surprised. The glowing plankton was so cute and reminded me of California. ❤️
Shannon is so gifted. She perfectly integrates the artifacts in each month’s box with a story so enchanting it seems more like a dream than simply an unboxing. This month’s box drew me in so deeply. I smelled the lush forest. I felt the stones under my feet, as I discovered 2 treasures: an ancient fossil and a vintage ring, buried for years, covered in vertigris. There was a mysterious document to guide me on my quest, a beautifully illustrated lore card and luminescent water and crystalline remnants to bring back as a reminder of the Moonwell. As Shannon does every month, she provided a clue, this month, in the form of a cypher, which gives a message for discerning pilgrims to interpret regarding The Silent Village, our next adventure.