In December 2022, subscribers met the Field Mice.
As the Winter Solstice approaches, the Field Mice close off some of their tunnels to hold in the warmth. The rest of the year is a blur of hectic foraging and trading; but in the winter, they live off the stockpiles they’ve accumulated
in storerooms and nut-cellars and seed-cellars.
They sleep late in their little moss-lined beds. After waking, they gather for cups of tea and linger in conversation. For a few months, their lives are snug, self-contained, and restful.
The Field Mice Box includes an abundance of beautiful objects; hints and additions to expand the story; a mysterious document; and a lore card.
Some items are available for individual purchase.
- Mysterious Document
- An instructional document is augmented with marginalia which will help you interpret clues. It is available only in the Field Mice Box.
- Lore Card
- The Field Mice are introduced in a full-color collectible 4x6 inch lore card. The artwork for this month's lore card was created by Joanna Rzepecka, a Warsaw, Poland-based illustrator. She says, "My work is inspired by biodiversity, mainly animals. Through my work, I'm trying to capture moments where nature is untouched by humans. Peaceful scenery, colors, and rough textures are some things that I enjoy the most."
- Milkmaid Mouse - Felted Mouse Ornament
- You enter the mouse hole and proceed cautiously through the dark tunnel. You meet a Field Mouse pouring oat milk into tiny buckets. You introduce yourself and she invites you to join the others for a cup of tea.
- Glowing Mushroom - Mini Terrarium
- The Mice have created a tangled network of tunnels connecting their storerooms and living spaces. The tunnels also lead to various fields, fruit trees, and barns, but some paths are sealed off for the winter months. The Mice light the cave-like tunnels with luminous mushrooms.
- Lace Doily - Crocheted Cotton Round
- The Mouse leads you from the dark tunnel into a bright kitchen. You marvel at the comfortable household the Mice have created. It is decorated with a combination of some Mouse-made furniture, a few items that appear to have been pilfered from doll houses, and some human-scale objects which have been repurposed. You spot a spool of thread used as a stool and a tea strainer serving as a giant colander. A crocheted doily on the floor adds to the room's coziness. Use yours as a coaster, as a stencil, or to top a mason jar.
- Tiny Candle Supplies - Rolled Beeswax Candle Kit
- The underground village is relatively insulated and safe, but very little natural light reaches the living spaces. The Field Mice have developed a method of candle making which doesn't require heating a vat of wax. They wrap sweet-smelling sheets of beeswax around cotton wicking. Quicken the wick and wax with an intention as you roll it. Because each candle is so easy to make, you can perform this brief ritual on an as-needed basis. Each little candle sustains a bright flame for around 25 minutes.
- Trio of Teas - Three Flavors
- Perhaps because of their easy access to the local spice shop, the Mice are well-stocked with tea and present you with several choices. In Birdmoss, these varieties have been assigned correspondences: red to nurture the heart; green to support the intellect; and yellow to lighten the spirit.
- Makeshift Tea Set - Tiny Charms
- You are amused to receive your tea in a thimble.
Bowls and plate pictured in photos is not included.
One-time box purchases include shipping costs. They usually ship within 3 business days of purchase.
"If you have any issues with your purchase, please reach out to me at firstname.lastname@example.org, and I'll personally do everything I can to make it right."
- Shannon, Birdmoss Curator and Liaison
I love this box! Everything in it was so magical! I have named the sweet little mouse Merry. ❤️
The Field Mice! What could be more adorable? Love this idea! I will probably pursue animal felting on my own after seeing the adorable little mouse in this collection. I will not be subscribing to more boxes. They are a little too spendy for me. But still so adorable!
As a child, I often daydreamed about being Alice in Wonderland. This month’s box gave me the perfect opportunity to live out my daydream, by imagining myself shrinking down small enough to explore the tunnels and storerooms which the field mice constructed as they prepared for winter. Along my adventure, I met a charming milkmaid mouse, who invited me for tea. I marveled at how clever the mice were, scavenging elements from their human counterparts to decorate their habitats. As my journey came to an end, I was gifted with my own felted wool milkmaid mouse, a tiny tea set, a trio of teas, supplies to make the tiny candles the field mice use In their celebrations and a bio-luminescent mushroom lantern which the mice use to illuminate their underground world. As always, the contents of the box are extraordinary and Shannon’s seamless prose is artful and engaging.