In January 2024, subscribers met the Dragons.
The Dragons of Birdmoss settle in the most remote mountaintops, where the rocky terrain is seamed with quartz and gold and glistening shale. They rely primarily on crystals and metals for sustenance; the high mineral content of this diet supports the growth of strong, iridescent scales. Mining sufficient stockpiles occupies most of their time. They dig deep into the earth for food and then use the resulting caverns to store their hoard.
Their unusual metabolism results in a high body temperature. The ardent warmth of the Dragons’ sleeping-chambers, where they pile together at night, would be unbearable for other creatures. The daily toil of mining is offset by sensory pleasures: waking and stretching in the furnace-like heat; bursting into the cool morning outside, scales steaming; cavorting and tumbling in the air; swallowing a lozenge-shaped ruby.
The Dragons Box includes an abundance of beautiful objects; hints and additions to expand the story; a mysterious document; and a lore card.
- Mysterious Document
- An instructional document is augmented with marginalia which will help you interpret clues. It is available only in the Dragons Box.
- Lore Card
- The Dragons is introduced in a full-color collectible 4x6 inch lore card. The artwork for this month's lore card was created by Joanna Rzepecka, a Warsaw, Poland-based illustrator. She says, "My work is inspired by biodiversity, mainly animals. Through my work, I'm trying to capture moments where nature is untouched by humans. Peaceful scenery, colors, and rough textures are some things that I enjoy the most."
- Dragon Call
- The Crows have sent you a brass whistle. Use it to summon a Dragon from the top of the mountain. When she approaches, you are surprised by the comforting warmth which emanates from her iridescent scales. She carries you to her village to meet her family. You can use your whistle to summon help in your world, too. Attach it to your keyring or carry it in your purse.
- Dragon's Eye Stone
- The Dragons perceive the world as a collection of facets, allowing them to spot the glint of a crystal from a great distance. This piece of windowed quartz gives you some idea of what they see. Use it for glimpsing, or as a worry stone. Include it in your practice when you need to filter out distractions.
- Gold Dust
- Your hosts understand that you cannot join their feast of amethyst points, so they have prepared another dish for you: a bowl of nuts and raisins. The Dragons do not see the appeal of such things, so they’ve dusted your food with a bit of gold glitter to make it more appetizing. Your edible glitter can be added to drinks, sprinkled on baked goods, or even smudged on your collarbones. Add a little to a few drops of water to make a glistening, edible paint.
- Embroidered Velvet Pouch
- When away from home, the Dragons carry a small pouch of crystals or coins, just in case hunger strikes. You receive one for your own hoard. Your handmade pouch is embroidered with a colorful pattern evoking the gem-like succulent plants that grow amidst the rocks. Quicken it with a special coin or stone.
- Embellished Bookmark
- Your time with the Dragons reminds you of the simple joys that come from living ardently. Allow yourself to read, write, and cook with enthusiasm. Surround yourself with little touches that bring you happiness. Your hook-style bookmark features a sparkling rhinestone and a Dragon charm. Slide the hook between the pages of a book to mark your spot.
One-time box purchases include shipping costs. They usually ship within 3 business days of purchase.
"If you have any issues with your purchase, please reach out to me at email@example.com, and I'll personally do everything I can to make it right."
- Shannon, Birdmoss Curator and Liaison