In June 2023, subscribers met the Hedgehogs.
At a young age, the Hedgehogs leave their mothers, heading into the moonlit Forest to create their own nests and routines. However, they remain connected with their families, and with other members of their ecosystem, by communing with the Current.
The Current is the inevitable flow of air, weather, and events. It is invisible to most creatures, but the Hedgehogs have learned to perceive it, perhaps to help compensate for their poor eyesight. The surface area of their many quills allows them to feel the slightest gusts. Minute particles encapsulate emotions, intentions, and fragrances; the Current carries those particles from one end of Birdmoss to the other.
The Hedgehogs’ unwritten language has a phrase which implies “feeding” but also “speaking to.” They anoint their quills with aromatic food and earth, exuding scents to nourish the Current. In turn, the Current feeds the Hedgehogs
glimpses of the larger biome: wind patterns, gathering clouds, and growth.
The Hedgehogs Box includes an abundance of beautiful objects; hints and additions to expand the story; a mysterious document; and a lore card.
- Mysterious Document
- An instructional document is augmented with marginalia which will help you interpret clues. It is available only in the Hedgehogs Box.
- Lore Card
- The Hedgehogs are introduced in a full-color collectible 4x6 inch lore card. The artwork for this month's lore card was created by Joanna Rzepecka, a Warsaw, Poland-based illustrator. She says, "My work is inspired by biodiversity, mainly animals. Through my work, I'm trying to capture moments where nature is untouched by humans. Peaceful scenery, colors, and rough textures are some things that I enjoy the most."
- Corner Charm
- The Hedgehogs have marked certain trees with charms. Some of the charms are made of wood; others of copper; and some of tatted floss. They depict both figurative and abstract shapes, but they all include a few holes or a lace-like pattern. The Hedgehogs sieve the Current in order to better discern its messages. Your friend gives you a bit of corner-shaped wooden trim you can use in your world. Place it upon a doorway to attend to the comings and goings of the Current; or, place it upon a light switch plate to attune to the movement of light in your space.
- Windcatcher Kit
- The Hedgehogs are sensitive to shifts in the environment, and are able to predict the weather by seeking clues in the Current. Your friend tells you that it can be as simple as noting the way that the wind blows. She gives you a collection of ribbon remnants to create a fluttering windcatcher.
- Sugar Doilies
- The Hedgehog invites you to join her for a cup of strong black tea. It is accompanied, not by sugar cubes, but by delicate sugar doilies. Float one on top of your coffee or tea to add a little lacework magic to your morning rituals.
- Hedgehog Quills
- You receive a tiny jar containing three minute Hedgehog quills. Baby Hedgehogs shed their quills two times as they come of age. The quills correlate to growth, maturity, and positive change. However, they generate feelings of tender nostalgia in the mothers, who treasure the dropped quills, especially because the young leave home so soon. The Hedgehog uses her collection of baby quills as sewing needles, imbuing her projects with complicated emotions.
- Jasmine - Scented Pearls
- Fragrance is one of the ways that Hedgehogs commune with the current. These green tea leaves were slowly dried alongside jasmine flowers to absorb their floral scent, then rolled into pearls. The sentimental Hedgehogs call the pearls "little babies" because they resemble hoglets.
- Needle Minder
- The same sensitivity that allows the Hedgehogs to read the Current extends to their perception of magnetic forces. Your enamel magnet will collect your needles as a mother cherishes little quills. Or, use it as a lapel pin or to decorate any metal surface.
One-time box purchases include shipping costs. They usually ship within 3 business days of purchase.
"If you have any issues with your purchase, please reach out to me at firstname.lastname@example.org, and I'll personally do everything I can to make it right."
- Shannon, Birdmoss Curator and Liaison
Thoughtfully curated treasures that bring me joy each month. I’m a fan!