October 2021 - The Ghost
In October, subscribers met the Ghost. You learn that something new has arrived in Birdmoss: an ethereal being that appears at night in the Forest. The Owls have tried to investigate, but whenever they approach, the apparition fades away. The Owls ask you to attempt to learn the Ghost’s intentions. So, you venture into the Birdmoss Forest on a quiet autumn night, traveling weightlessly as you did when you were first learning to Dream into Birdmoss. You listen to the hushed sounds of the Forest.
while well-patrolled, are permeable.
In some spots, only a change in the light
— or an unexpected draft —
signal a passage where
two skies knit together.
have crossed between worlds.
Therefore, it is both possible and natural
to nurture one’s ancestors
with food, drink, and stories.
And while it is easy work to write a letter
to your future self,
it is also possible to send
a properly quickened note into the past.
When glimpsing a being through the veil, ask yourself:
And who is the haunted?
From the other side, you too are a blur.
On the right night in the Forest,
time and place can reconcile.
The Ghost Box includes an abundance of beautiful objects; plus a mysterious document and a lore card.
- Mysterious Document
- An instructional document is augmented with marginalia which will help you interpret secrets and puzzles. Printed on an unusual velvety, textured paper, it is available only in the Ghost Box.
- Lore Card
- The Ghost is introduced in a full-color collectible 4x6 inch lore card. The artwork for this month's lore card was created by Joanna Rzepecka, a Warsaw, Poland-based illustrator. She says, "My work is inspired by biodiversity, mainly animals. Through my work, I'm trying to capture moments where nature is untouched by humans. Peaceful scenery, colors, and rough textures are some things that I enjoy the most."
- Night Forest Bath Soak
- Prepare to seek the Ghost by immersing yourself in a quickened bath. Quicken your bathwater by holding an intention as you pour in this special blend of salts. Call up the sensations of the Forest at night: the scents of cedarwood and moss; swirling pearly mists; and fleeting will-o'-the-wisps.
- Veil-Thinning Bundle
- The Foxes practice a kind of herbal alchemy and prepare bundles that allow Dreamers to travel the Old Roads. This fragrant muslin bundle includes applewood, cassia bark, and mace arils; these ingredients are given by trees and used for veil-thinning rituals, facilitating your ability to communicate with the Ghost. When you are ready to seek the Ghost, place the bundle under your pillow before you sleep.
- Quickened Key
- Every time you Dream into Birdmoss, your powers grow. You can even call small objects placed in your world into the world of Birdmoss. If you encounter any obstacles while Dreaming, summon this key. It does not unlock a physical door, but has been quickened with salt to help disperse blockages and challenges.
- Amethyst Pendulum
- Your pendulum will help you find your way. Amethyst has been chosen to signify growing understanding, connection with spiritual beings, and calming energy. Take time to become acquainted with this tool. Initiate a conversation: allow it to swing loosely and observe its motions as you hold thoughts and questions in your mind.
- Pendulum Board
- This rudimentary pendulum board may assist you as you learn to communicate with your pendulum. Also try holding your pendulum above your open palm; your key; or a map.
- Complecting Kit
- The gold thread represents the past; the silver, the future; and the blue, the current moment. Weave the three together to disperse timeline barriers. Use the hand-forged iron nail to strengthen your work. You experience clarity as the different iterations of your experience reconcile in a single moment.
- Tulip Bulb
- Now that you are more capable of connecting with your past and future self, make yourself a promise. Quicken this bulb with a vision of the future and anticipate a purple bloom.