In February 2022, subscribers encountered the Frozen Lake.
A tremendous frost was foretold; and this year, it came to be. It began with icy lacework creeping over the damp reeds. Then, for the first time in memory, the lively, lapping Lake hunches – and slows – and stops. Its waving fronds of lakemoss are arrested mid-gesture. Young Foxes skid out onto its frozen surface, chasing each other around boats moored by the ice.
The Frozen Lake Box includes an abundance of beautiful objects; a note from the Elder Turtle; plus a mysterious document and a lore card.
- Mysterious Document
- An instructional document is augmented with marginalia which will help you interpret clues. It is available only in the Frozen Lake Box.
- Lore Card
- The Frozen Lake is introduced in a full-color collectible 4x6 inch lore card.
- Mulling Kit
- The Tremendous Frost has rendered soft things hard, and hard things brittle. The Frozen Lake is glassy. Celebrants on its surface clap their hands and stamp their feet to avoid slowing into statue-like forms. As they sing, the words form wispy shapes that are caught up in the wind. Hearty pours of hot wine help to keep their blood liquid and their breath moving. Join their celebration with some mulled wine or cider.
- Amber from the Ancient Forest
- In early times, the Lake was a tremendous Forest. Now, when the Lake’s floor is stirred by a roaring storm, fossilized resin from those ancient trees floats to the surface. This is your gift from one of those trees. It has been awaiting your arrival for millions of years. It may show you a glimpse of an underwater glade; a bank of reeds; or sun-dappled waves. Observe it to receive your message from that early tree.
- Freshwater Moss
- In some spots, the Lake resembles a glass paperweight. Its underwater flora is temporarily still. The Elder Turtle gives you a small sample of the Lake's moss and supplies for its habitat so that you can examine it more closely. Rinse the stones before adding them to the vial and provide the moss with distilled or spring water.
- Reed Pen & Ink
- Reeds grow thickly on the edge of the Lake. Locals purpose them for textiles, baskets, flutes, and even pens. Dip your pen's tip into liquid ink so it can seep into the reed's channels and then flow out as you write. Experiment to find the best angle for smooth writing. The pen's tip can be trimmed or sanded when it becomes dull.
- Turtle Spell
- The Lake is home to long-lived Turtles who are recognized for their healing knowledge. Quicken your turtle pin by dipping it in fresh water. It will attract energies associated with good health and peaceful thoughts. Pin it to a seam in your clothing or inside your bag; or use it as a stitch marker to quicken your textile work.
One-time box purchases include shipping costs. They usually ship within 3 business days of purchase.
"If you have any issues with your purchase, please reach out to me at firstname.lastname@example.org, and I'll personally do everything I can to make it right."
- Shannon, Birdmoss Curator and Liaison
As someone who works from home, the things I gather around me are an important part of my self care. Each box has brought me treasures to add a bit of mystery and magic to my space. In this box, I have particularly enjoyed the mini moss aquarium and the amber as reminders that a natural world awaits after my digital day. The pen and ink have been fun to experiment with and the tiny turtle is so cute. I'm saving the mulling spices for the perfect evening for savoring as I reread the story and let my imagination wander the Frozen Lake.
I waited patiently for my first box and was so excited when I found it on my doorstep! Every item brought me much needed joy
The Frozen Lake box was my first and definitely won't be my last. Everything was packed carefully and I got so much joy from each piece.
This box was so incredible to open and enjoy. The meditative process of creating my little moss jar with all the amazing rocks, shells and sea glass , then deciphering the secret message, and using the lovely reed pen and gorgeous ink! I have them all displayed along with my amber and added my turtle charm to a bracelet (hoping for future charms in upcoming boxes) What a delight! Thank you!